Sep 17, 2010

Death Shmeath... Summer of 2010 begins!

JUNE
Mine is the Month of Roses; yes, and mine
  The Month of Marriages!  All pleasant sights
And scents, the fragrance of the blossoming vine,
  The foliage of the valleys and the heights.
Mine are the longest days, the loveliest nights;
  The mower's scythe makes music to my ear;
I am the mother of all dear delights;
  I am the fairest daughter of the year. 

                                                         ~H.W. Longfellow

My spring 2010 ended with death - death of my dear friend Drew as well as the death of a relationship with someone I deeply loved.  I don't think I need to spell out the irony. There were no roses, marriages, pleasant sights or lovely nights in my upcoming June... The mother of all delights... ha! Yeah right!   Normally I travel in the summer. Traveling always rejuvenates me, but I postponed planning a trip because... well because I anticipated a much different summer. 


I'm reminded of my favorite musical, Elisabeth.  The operetta is a historical fiction is about the Austrian Empress Elisabeth who has a love-hate relationship with a the character 'Death'. The story begins when she is young and has a fatal accident.  Death comes to take her and falls in love.  He chooses to let her live but keeps visiting her throughout her life, struggling with his desire to take her with him and letting her live a full life. It's kind of like the movie Meet Joe Black except much, much better.  I reference this story because Elisabeth, is the perfect heroin.  She feels a great responsibility in her role as Empress. Although she can see the appeal in leaving her difficult life, she continually overcomes Death's attempts to woo her.  She is so strong!  I should mention that character of death is incredibly hot... Brad Pitt has nothing on him because this Death can sing and dance! 


Elisabeth inspires me. Instead of wallowing in self pity of my missed adventures in Africa and instead of spending a month mourning the loss of Drew and the ex, I packed my summer with local adventure.  I decided to make my June the freakin' mother of all delights.  That will show death! 


Although my summer didn't begin on a high note, I'm sad that it is coming to an end. Fall will officially arrive in a couple of days, and I would be remiss if I didn't document this great summer!

This is the scene when Death first sees Elisabeth and sings the most beautiful love song! 

No comments: